The following links offer helpful info on weeds and pests of the region.
Did you know...
- Ants have the largest brain compared to other insects.
- Mosquitos can smell their prey from about 75 feet away.
- Honey bees can fly at 15 mph.
- With each molt, the millipede gets a new segment and two paris of legs.
- A mosquito beats its wings 300-600 times per second.
- Millipedes produce an odorous fluid that can cause an allergic reaction and can be harmful if it gets into the eye.
- The average life expectancy of an ant is 45-60 days.
- Tree crickets are called the poor mans thermometer because temperature directly affects their rate of activity. Count the number of chirps a cricket makes in 15 seconds, and then add 37. The sum will be very close to the outside temperature..
- Honey bees need to consume about 20 lbs. of honey to make 1b. of beeswax.